Researches of recent years have shown that vitamin D plays an important role in the prevention of many diseases, diabetes, tumors, infections in the winter. During winter 70 percent of the Hungarian population have vitamin D deficiency, this vitamin should be supplemented by tablets in case of lack of sunshine. You can buy a lot of types of tablets and medicines, with prescription you can also buy for a few hundred forints one month ration.
This summer was published a recommendation prepared by more than ten medical societies according to that the Hungarian population should consume 2000 international units of vitamin D daily from November to March.
Primary source of vitamin D is the sunshine which reach our skin, mostly UV-B range (because of this tanning solarium with mostly UV-A rays is not suitable as a replacement). However, since here in Hungary from late fall to spring, sunshine is not quite good enough to produce enough vitamin D, a deficiency occurs which increases the risk of developing many diseases.
“After winter season 70 percent of the Hungarian population have vitamin D deficiency, among older people even more common at 90 per cent of them. But in case of the majority of older people, vitamin D deficiency is commom in the summer too because the ability to synthetise vitamin D of the skin decreases with age “- says Dr. Péter Lakatos, the endocrinologist of the First Department of Internal Medicine, Semmelweis University.
So doctors recommend 2000 international units daily for healthy adults for prevention but if the deficiency has already occurred, several times of this amount is necessary. You can require for a measurement of vitamin D level in a laboratory. “In case of a serious deficiency, 50,000 units could be necessary for some weeks. Overweight people also need a larger quantity, 3-8,000 units daily depending on body mass“- says Dr. Lakatos. Pregnant women need 2000 units, infants 4-500, older children 6-800 units.
Vitamin D in natural form from the mushrooms
The Bio-Fungi Kft carried out a research during several years and elaboreted a process with which natural way-to-find vitamin D content can be multiplied in button mushrooms. So nowadays there is a mushroom product family on the market which contain significant amount of vitamin D in 100 grams. Eating these mushrooms 2-3 times a week we can make a significant step regarding to our vitamin D status.
In the occuring of many diseases vitamin D deficiency plays a role
- Vitamin D deficiency can lead to bone loss and osteoporosis, in case of serious deficiency can occur even osteomalacia. In people with vitamin D deficiency the risk of fractures increases, the effect of medicines taken against osteoporosis decreases.
- Among the autoimmune diseases, low vitamin D level increases the likelihood of rheumatoid arthritis, developing insulin dependency related diabetes and multiple sclerosis.
- According to researches vitamin D deficiency also contribute to the emergence or exacerbation of congestive heart failure, increasing the risk of high blood pressure and hardening of the arteries.
- In diseases of the kidney, the risk of vitamin D deficiency is higher and the appropriate intake of vitamin D is very important.
- For the development of breast cancer and colon tumors, vitamin D deficiency is one of the risk factors.
- Vitamin D deficiency has also negative impact on conception.
- In the case of polycystic Ovariumsyndroms normalizing vitamin D levels is highly recommended.
- In case of vitamin D deficiency in embryos, infants and small children, there is an increased risk of diabetes type 1 cancer.
- In adults, vitamin D deficiency increases the risk of developing diabetes type 2.
- Diseases of liver and bile increase the risk of vitamin D deficiency.