We can hear more and more frequently in recent years the term “Superfood”, the precise definition we do not still know actually. According to some definitions superfoods are those foods that contain extremely high concentrations of nutrients, vitamins and trace elements that are essential for the functioning of a healthy human organism. The most frequently mentioned superfood is blueberry, mainly because of its high antioxidant and vitamin C content. Among superfoods you count most of the berries with high antioxidant content, oilseeds, vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, etc.), citrus, marine fish (salmon, mackerel, sardines, etc.) and chocolate with high cocoa content. Among the members of this group was added button mushroom in the late 2000s.
If we look at the different definitions for superfood, we can say that button mushroom is counted entitled to the superfood, since all its properties meet the necessary requirements:
- It has those eating properties like no other known vegetables.
- It is popular and eatable in raw.
- Its ingredients are different from the traditional vegetables, it offers more both in terms of its composition and of taste.
- One portion contains more than 20% of the essential trace elements: riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, biotin, copper and selenium.
- A portion of mushrooms exposed to sunlight provides the body with the recommended daily amount of vitamin D.
- Its calorie content is low, its nutritional value however is very high.
- It provides the body basic nutriotinal materials without increasing the intake of salt or saturated fats and thus cause long-term health problems.
- Its capacity of antioxidants is similar or even higher than most of the vegeables due to its high L-Ergiothionein content.
- Numerous tests have proven its health-preserving and disease preventive effect.
- It provides the body bioactive ingredients that boost the immune system and help prevent the emergence of serious diseases (such as breast or prostate cancer).
- Since its cultivation is not dependent on its external environment, it can be eaten all year round and it is cheap and fresh.